Fair Work Australia have made a decision to increase minimum and award wages by 3% and this increase is effective from the first full pay period after 1 July 2019.
Fair Work have decided that the minimum wage will increase by 3% to $740.80
The Federal weekly minimum full time wage will increase to $740.80 ($19.49 per hour).
This rate applies to all employees who aren’t covered by an award or agreement.
- For award based employees – the increase may be absorbed in the pay rate where it is in excess of the award rate and there is specific contractual agreement between an employer and employee to do so.
- For non award employees – the obligation is for employers to ensure that an employee is being paid more than the minimum wage rate for all their hours of work.
Additional Changes to Penalty Rates
Following a couple of Fair Work Commission decisions in 2017 and 2018, some penalty rates in the following awards will also change from 1 July 2019:
- Fast Food Industry Award 2010
- General Retail Industry Award 2010
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010
- Pharmacy Industry Award 2010
The changes could affect permanent and casual employees. Visit Fair Works Penalty rates changes page for more information.
FWA has updated their Pay Tools to reflect the Minimum Wage Changes
Employers should check the Fair Work Australia website (www.fwa.gov.au) for pay rate revisions to modern awards and ensure the appropriate increase is passed on in the first pay period after 1 July 2019.
See this page for updated Pay information.
If you would like to know more about minimum wages go here.
If you require a current 2019 Employment Contract please see RP Emery’s wide range of Fair Work Compliant Employment Agreements.